Learning to drink coffee in Italian
2) You should not allow yourself liberties with respect to coffee, ordering, say, frappuccino (frapuchchino) with menthol. In Italy – this is a sign of bad taste. There are two worthy exceptions. In Naples, you can ask caffe alla nocciola (cafe alla nokyola) – this espresso with a whipped cream of walnuts. And in Milan, you can impress the locals by ordering marocchino (marocchino). This is a kind of cappuccino on the contrary: at the bottom of a small glass will fill cocoa, then cover it with a cloud of foamed milk, and finally add espresso.
3) the Italian word espresso is taboo in Italy. This is a kind of technical term; When you order an espresso, it’s just caffe.
4) you can order caffe doppio, that is double espresso, however it will not be in Italian. Inhabitants of Italy drink during the day a lot of coffee, even very much at the sight of the foreigner, but in small doses.
5) the coffee is ordered at the counter, and the order should be loudly called, even if the barrister is standing with his back to you. After drinking a cup, pay off.
6) only at the airport, at the railway station or at a special tourist institution, you should be prepared to be asked to pay the drink ahead.
7) the Italian drinks coffee standing, and for that there are reasons. Coffee is a very pleasant drug, but still a drug. And it is better to digest it standing, believe the inhabitants of Italy.
8) Italians serve coffee at such a temperature that it does not burn lips and larynx. If you prefer a fire drink, order a caffe bollente.
9) here is a list of the types of coffee that the Italians themselves drink. This is cappuccino or caffé latte: caffè macchiato or latte macchiato, i.e. Espresso with a drop of milk or, on the contrary, milk with a drop of coffee.
Caffè corretto (corretto cafe) is a favorite drink of the Italian construction worker. This espresso, “corrected” dose of grappa or brandy.
Caffè freddo (cafe freddo) or cappuccino freddo (cappuccino freddo) is an ice espresso or cappuccino. You can ask for caffè lungo (cafe lungo) or caffè ristretto (cafe ristretto) if you want the espresso to be slightly diluted.
10) according to the Italians, failure to comply with any of the above rules is terrible!
And now a little coffee alphabet.
Espresso is a very strong coffee, it is served without milk in small cups. Espresso in Italian means “compressed” or “fast”. This is the king among the coffee. The basis of its taste is a pleasant balance of sourness and bitterness and a feeling of freshness and completeness of taste. The standard portion of espresso is 30-35 ml. The ideal espresso has a uniform, even, dense golden-nut cream (cream). The thickness of the cream should be at least 2 mm. The espresso is served during the first one and a half minutes after the preparation, drink quickly, in several sips.
Espresso Concern – espresso with a lavish cap of whipped cream, sprinkled with ground cinnamon. “Conne” in the translation from Italian means “with cream”. Serve the espresso in a cup for cappuccino.
Espresso macchiato is a standard strong espresso, on which a drop of very delicate milk foam (about 15 ml) is placed on top with a bar spoon. This is a real Italian version, translated as “spotted”.
Espresso romano – espresso with lemon. In translation from Italian means “Roman”. Espresso romano often decorated with a slice of lemon.
Corretto – espresso, with the addition of a small amount of strong alcoholic beverage. For example, grappy.
Doppio – espresso in double serving.
Lungo – coffee, less strong than espresso due to more water in the cup (50-60 ml) with the same amount of ground coffee (7 gr.), But stronger than the American.
Ristretto – espresso, cooked in a smaller volume of water (7 g coffee for 20-25 ml of water). The most concentrated and invigorating. It is drunk without sugar. It is considered to be true Italian coffee and is translated as “strong”. Ristretto is served in an espresso cup with a glass of cold water. Before the first sip of coffee, several sips of water are taken. Thus, dehydration of the body is prevented and taste receptors are washed.
Torre is a large portion of espresso covered with a milk foam cap that does not mix with coffee and rises over the edge of the cup by about 1.5 to 2 cm. Milk foam has a drier and dense structure, unlike cappuccino, and holds well the shape . Served in a cappuccino cup.
Cappuccino – a foamy mixture of espresso and boiled milk, beaten with steam in equal proportions. Served in a cup of bo
Share the news with your friends:
Scientists have proven that coffee prolongs life
The results are based on observations of 190,000 volunteers. A group of American scientists conducted a study, which eventually found that coffee reduces the risk of death from all causes, the website of the University of Southern California. The full text of the study was published in the publication Annals of Internal Medicine. In the […]
Coffee grades and their taste characteristics
The main types of coffee are Arabica and Robusta. In turn, these species are divided into a large number of varieties, differing from each other with their taste and aromatic characteristics and, accordingly, price. Names of different varieties are given: – by country of origin – by the port from which the delivery […]
Learning to drink coffee in Italian
The British newspaper Daily Telegraph has published the commandments of coffee consumption. If you follow these rules, then you in Italy may not be looked at as “yours.” 1) those kinds of coffee that sound especially Italian in the foreigner’s ear, such as: cappuccino (cappuccino), caffe latte (Cafe latte), latte macchiato (lattemakiato), – in Italy […]